Monday, December 9, 2019

Bvlgari - Aqva Amara review

 This is my favorite in the Aqva line - a line which I really enjoy - but I can see why it's so polarizing. You can't approach this scent with the expectation that it will be an aquatic. That's not quite what it is. This is more like an eau de cologne meets an aquatic, but on Tren.

It starts off with orange and a proper neroli note (i.e. it smells like actual orange blossom water or neroli oil, not like whatever those cheaper "neroli" notes are supposed to smell like). My face is awash with the air of the Mediterranean when I smell this pairing. Although I can see how the white floral character of the neroli is polarizing to some. I feel like I get a hint of some dry, bitter jasmine as well (like jasmine tea), although it's not listed.

The opening accord lasts for quite a while, although it gradually darkens. The Aqva DNA becomes more noticeable at this point as the fragrance gradually gets saltier and aqueous. There's a bit of a dirty character, which pops up, and I'm guessing that comes from the patchouli. The far drydown smells more typical of an aquatic fragrance, and the earlier colonia notes are mostly gone. It reminds me of some other aquatic scent, but I can't recall which one (I want to say the drydown of AdG Essenza, but I'm not sure that's it).

Longevity is splendid. 12 hours easy. It projects like a beast for the first couple of hours, but it gradually becomes more of a skin scent. It persists after a shower, and I can smell hints of it after going out at night. It's a shame it's discontinued.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Montale Black Aoud Review

 Montale's Black Aoud is a really simple and linear fragrance. Upon initial spray, you get Montale's and Mancera's signature oud...