Friday, January 17, 2020

Swiss Arabian - Shaghaf Oud Review

This is a pretty straightforward scent. It doesn't evolve at all throughout a wearing.
It has the petrol oud and saffron combo paired with rose, which is where it's rooted in lots of other Arabian scents. Think more in line with Montale's Black Aoud than the more Western takes on oud, like Oud Wood. That aspect of the fragrance gives it a daring character in Western contexts.
The caramel, vanilla, and slightly nutty notes lean westward and make it more accessible for those who don't like oud. Albeit it's still more daring than something like Noir de Noir. The scent is sweet, but it's not as much as as One Million. The pungent notes temper the sweeter notes, and vice versa. I can't say I'm a huge fan of it. I think Shaghaf Oud Aswad is far more interesting.

It has excellent performance. 12ish hours of longevity. It doesn't seem to project if I smell my arm up close. But don't be deceived. Even after 6 hours, I can smell it from like 3 feet away when my wrists are at my sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Montale Black Aoud Review

 Montale's Black Aoud is a really simple and linear fragrance. Upon initial spray, you get Montale's and Mancera's signature oud...