Monday, November 18, 2019

Azzaro - Acteur review

 It's always a pleasure when I come across a fragrance which, from my first sniff, leaves me absolutely speechless. Acteur is one which caused that sort of effect on me. I kept sleeping on this scent, and I regret missing all the years during which I could have enjoyed this. Among Azzaro's popular Wanted line, all the endless Chrome flankers, and random and ignored scents of varying quality, this falls by the wayside (not sure if that's the cause of, or due to, being discontinued [or both]). That's criminal, however, as this easily stands on par with Azzaro's acclaimed mainstay Azzaro PH.

Although released in the 80's, this does not have much in common with the powerhouses of the decade; but some notes do overlap. It starts off with a dark, sweet, slightly pungent fruity accord. It is more like a melange of dense, syrupy, and sticky dried fruit simmered with some warm spices. It almost smells boozy; possibly since it reminds me of spicy drinks and pastries during the holiday seasons; albeit this accord is not at all sweet.
As the fragrance dries down, its rose, leather, and moss notes dominate the scent. The leather is supple and refined, but powerful. The raw patchouli note gives the scent an earthy and green character. Its cedar note also smells quite earthy; more like cedarwood oil than pencil shavings.

I get pretty good performance out of it. I get around 10ish hours of longevity, and maybe 2-3 hours of projection. It's tame, but you won't forget it's there.

The splash bottles are a bit annoying to apply. I'd suggest ordering a glass spray bottle in which you can just pour this. Current prices for the 50ml size can be had for a steal (around 20ish), and surprisingly less than half the cost of the 100ml bottle. Or just pay extra, get the 100ml spray bottle, and don't bother decanting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Montale Black Aoud Review

 Montale's Black Aoud is a really simple and linear fragrance. Upon initial spray, you get Montale's and Mancera's signature oud...